Talk on Social Web by Dr. John Breslin at NII
- Dr. John Breslin, Senior Lecturer of University of Ireland, Galway
National Institute of Informatics
Room #1208-1210 on the 12th floor
- July 10, 2015 (Friday)
- Adding more semantics to the Social Web: structure and content
- The past ten years have seen a rapid growth in the numbers of people signing up to use Web-based social networks (hundreds of millions of new members are now joining the main services each year) with a large amount of content being shared on these networks (tens of billions of content items are shared each month). With this growth in usage and data being generated, there are many opportunities to discover the knowledge that is often inherent but somewhat hidden in these networks. Web mining techniques are being used to derive this hidden knowledge. In addition, the Semantic Web, including the Linked Data initiative to connect previously disconnected datasets, is making it possible to connect data from across various social spaces through common representations and agreed upon terms for people, content items, etc. In this talk, Dr Breslin will outline some current research being carried out to semantically represent the implicit and explicit structures on the Social Web, along with the techniques being used to elicit relevant knowledge from these structures, and the mechanisms that can be used to intelligently mesh these semantic representations with intelligent knowledge discovery processes.
- Dr John Breslin is a Senior Lecturer in the College of Engineering and Informatics at the National University of Ireland Galway. He is also a Funded Investigator at the Insight Centre for Data Analytics, where he has led the Social Software Unit since 2005. He co-created the SIOC Social Semantic Web framework (Wikipedia article), implemented in hundreds of applications (by Yahoo, Boeing, Vodafone, etc.) on over 25,000 websites. He has written 150 peer-reviewed academic publications (with best paper awards from ICEGOV, ESWC, PELS), and co-authored the books "The Social Semantic Web" and "Social Semantic Web Mining". He is Vice Chair of IFIP WG 12.7 on Social Networking Semantics and Collective Intelligence. Dr Breslin is co-founder of boards.ie (Ireland's largest social media website; Wikipedia article), adverts.ie (classified ads website), and StreamGlider (real-time streaming newsreader app). He has won two IIA Net Visionary awards. He is an advisor to Advisor to AISLER, AYLIEN, BirdLeaf, BuilderEngine, CrowdGather, Dot-Irish, Pocket Anatomy and Trugence. He is co-founder of Startup Galway and the Galway City Innovation District. He also serves on the boards of WestBIC and the American Council of Exercise.
- This talk is held also as a part of SIG-“Semantic Web and Ontology” meeting.
Hideaki Takeda (National Institute of Informatics)
*Please replace [at] with @.