Talk by Prof. Alípio Mário Guedes Jorge from INESC TEC, Portugal:"Recommender Systems, Text Mining and Other Data Mining Research Lines"
Talk by Prof. Alípio Mário Guedes Jorge
- Talk by Prof. Alípio Mário Guedes Jorge, INESC TEC, Portugal
- July 28 (Thusday), 2016
- National Institute of Informatics (NII)
15th floor, Room 1509 (Seminar Room 2)
- Recommender Systems, Text Mining and Other Data Mining Research Lines at INESC TEC, Portugal
- In this talk I will give an overview of the research in our artificial intelligence lab at INESC TEC, one of the largest research institutes in computer science in Portugal. Our AI lab is specialized in data mining. I will present some of the research lines but will focus on recommender systems (RS) and text mining (TM). In RS we work on online scalable collaborative filtering based on matrix factorization. In TM we work on the semantic extraction of elements from texts such as entities, relationships and topics. The aim of this talk is to foster collaboration with researchers in NII.
- Alípio M. Jorge is an associate professor at the Department of Computer Science of the Faculty of Science of the University of Porto and the coordinator of LIAAD , the Artificial Intelligence and Decision Support Lab of UP. LIAAD is a unit of INESC TEC (Laboratório Associado) since 2007. Previously LIAAD was part of LIACC. He is PhD in Computer Science by U. Porto, MSc. on Foundations of Advanced Information Technology by the Imperial Collegeand BSc. in Applied Maths and Computer Science, currently Computer Science (U. Porto). His research interests are Data Mining and Machine Learning, in particular association rules, web intelligence and data mining for decision support. His past research also includes Inductive Logic Programming and Collaborative Data Mining. He lectures courses related to information processing, data mining, decision support and database marketing. While at the Faculty of Economics, where he stayed from 1996 to 2009, he launched, with other colleagues, the MSc. on Data Analysis and Decisison Support Systems, which he coordinated from 2000 to April 2008. He lead research projects on data mining and web intelligence. He was the director of the Masters in Computer Science at DCC-FCUP from June 2010 to August 2013. He is currently in the managing board of this MSc. course. He co-chaired international conferences (Discovery Science 2009, ECML/PKDD 05 and EPIA 01), workshops and seminars in data mining and artificial intelligence. He was Vice-President of APPIA the Portuguese Association for Artificial Intelligence.He lectures Data Structures with Python (lectures and tutorials) and Data Mining (MSc).
See all events