Academic Employment Opportunities at the NII, Principles of Informatics Research Division, Ken Satoh Laboratory, Specially Appointed Research/ Postdoctoral Researcher
1. Job title
2. Number of Researchers Employed
3. Work Place
National Institute of Informatics (Hitotsubashi 2-1-2, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo)
Directions: 3-5 minutes walk from exit A9 of the Jimbocho subway station on the Toei Shinjuku Line, or from exit 1b of the Takebashi subway station on the Tozai Line (refer to the map).
However, due to COVID-19, there is a possibility of working at home in Tokyo.
4. Research Laboratory
Ken Satoh Laboratory, Principles of Informatics
Job posting URL
5. Job Description (Choose one of Researches below)
Engaged in research on legal reasoning and implementation of legal reasoning systems under the Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research S: "Support for Advanced Reasoning with Artificial Intelligence in the Judgement Process".
About the project
Engaged in research on logical formalization of GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) and contradiction detection and resolution between GDPR and AI manipulating person under the Grant-in-Aid for Challenging Research (Exploratory): "Realization of Legal Compliance Mechanism for Artificial Intelligence".
Engaged in research on logical formalization of international contract law and automatic control of smart contracts based on the formalization under the Topic-Setting Program to Advance Cutting-Edge Humanities and Social Sciences Research (Global Initiatives).
Engaged in research on implementation of norm compliance mechanism based on Event Calculus under the JST Japan-German-French Trilateral Project: " Research on Real Time Compliance Mechanism for AI "
Those who have a doctoral degree or equivalent qualifications (for example, assistant professors in the case of department of humanities in a university).
- Research 1: It is desirable to have either a knowledge for logical formulation of reasoning/ experience of logic programming, or knowledge of law.
- Research 2: It is desirable to have one of the basics for logical formulation of reasoning/experience of logic programming, or knowledge of GDPR.
- Research 3: It is desirable to have one of the basics for logical formulation of reasoning/experience of logic programming, or knowledge of smart contracts, knowledge of international contract law.
- Research 4: It is desirable to have one of the basics for logical formulation of reasoning/experience of logic programming, or knowledge of law and/or ethics related with data privacy.
7. Employment status
Full-time (with term) April 1, 2021 to March 31, 2022.
There might be one-year extension ending at March 31, 2023 based on achievement to the project for Research 4.
8. Working days
5 days a week (Monday-Friday)
- Saturdays, Sundays, holidays based on the Holidays Act, December 29th to January 3rd
- Summer holiday (2 consecutive days excluding Saturdays and Sundays from August 12th to 18th)
9. Working hours
Flexible working system (assumed to have worked 7 hours 45 minutes a day)
Granted according to rules such as paid leave
Payment based on rules
- Basic salary: about 340,000 yen per month
- Commuting allowance: An amount equivalent to the actual cost is paid when the payment requirements are met (there is an upper limit)
- Supply date: Closed at the end of every month, in principle 17th of the month
12. Social Insurance
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Mutual Aid Association, Employment Insurance, and Industrial Accident Insurance are enrolled based on laws and regulations.
13. Required Documents
- Your CV
- List of academic contributions
- Outline of the research so far.
- Desired research topic among the theme above (1-3) and your research plan (arbitrary form, A4 one page)
- Reference information, Name 1-2 people with contact information
- Reprints (copy) of your main papers at most 3
Please send documents by e-mail attachment to ksatoh (at) nii.ac.jp
If the size is over 5MB, please send a download link
14. Selection Process
Interview (possibly online) will be conducted after selection based on documents. Applicants will be responsible for travel expenses and staying expenses during the interview.
Notification will be sent to applicants.
16. Application Deadline
February 28, 2021
However, it will be closed as soon as a suitable person is found.
17. Contact information
National Institute of Informatics, 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8430
Email: ksatoh (at) nii.ac.jp * Please replace (at) with @.
18. Name of Employer
Ryoichi Fujii, President
Research Organization of Information and Systems (ROIS)
Any questions shall be asked to the email address above.
We will use the personal information submitted in this recruitment only for the purpose of screening of the application. We will destroy all personal information after application.
Please note that personal information of the hired staff will be used for recruitment procedures such as personnel affairs, labor, salary-related processing, and various procedures in the office.
NII actively promotes female researchers as a part of gender equality. In this recruitment, women will be actively hired if they are found to be equivalent in their performance
(research achievements, educational achievements, social contributions, etc.).