Academic Employment Opportunities at the National Institute of Informatics, Research Organization of Information and Systems
1. Job titles and number of positions
Associate Professor or Assistant Professor with fixed tenure - several of each position
*Consideration may also be given to Professorial appointments.
2. Starting date of employment
Expected to be April 1st, 2021
The tenure shall be five (5) years.
Renewal of tenure, promotion or other changes of status may be granted depending on performance during tenure. (Renewal shall be limited to one (1) five (5) year period.)
4. Working Conditions
Working conditions shall be governed by the Office Regulations of the Research Organization of Information and Systems and other relevant guidelines.
Remuneration matters shall, in principle, accord with the Salary Regulations of the Research Organization of Information and Systems and other relevant guidelines.
However, depending on the status of future discussions in the Research Organization of Information and Systems, the annual salary system stipulated in the Salary Regulations of the Research Organization of Information and Systems may be applied.
5. Role of NII and expectations of desired candidates
As Japan's only comprehensive academic research institute in the field of informatics, the National Institute of Informatics (NII) has a mission to promote basic research in informatics from a long-term perspective along with practical research designed to resolve issues that confront society. As an Inter-University Research Institute, NII also has missions to develop and disseminate an academic information infrastructure necessary for research and educational activities in the academic community, including operation of a network (SINET5) linking universities and research institutes, and provision of academic content and service platforms. As we engage in these activities, it is crucial to develop human resources and to make sincere social and international contributions.
With these missions in mind, NII is seeking researchers who have the self-drive to pioneer the future of informatics in Japan and will generate outcomes competitive in the international academic communities, or alternatively, will deliver results that contribute to improvements in our society.
In this regard, NII will endeavor to provide ample research hours and offer an environment conducive to the concentrated research.
6. Research and development fields
Select and enter in the Curriculum vitae a research and development field of your preference from the followings (research topics are not limited to the followings):
- Research on Principles of Informatics:
Algorithms, artificial intelligence, machine learning, post deep learning, big data analysis, data mining, secure computation, privacy preserving analysis, mathematical modeling, numerical analysis, computational science, Web informatics, programming theory, mathematical logic, robotics, quantum computer, quantum communication, quantum information, new principles and theories in interdisciplinary fields of the above areas, cutting-edge research creating new applications in the above areas, etc.
- Research on Information Systems Architecture:
Secure system, system software, software engineering, programming languages, formal method / formal verification, information security, hardware architecture, distributed, parallel and cloud computing, dependable systems, high-performance computing, network architecture, network performance measurement/analysis, post-Internet, the Internet of Things (IoT), cyber-physical systems , etc.
- Research on Digital Content and Media Sciences:
Natural language processing, pattern recognition, computer vision, image processing, acoustic information processing, computer graphics, human-computer interaction, data engineering, Web mining, social media, community analysis, data visualization, biometric, machine learning and deep learning applications, etc.
- Research on Information, Society and Humanity:
Privacy-preserving data processing, data governance, information retrieval/information access technologies, next-generation institutional research platform, open science platform, data platform policy, intellectual property management policies and technology, human resource development for data utilization, digital humanities, e-healthcare, reliability evaluations of data, sharing economy, digital education, etc.
7. Requirements and experience
Applicants should have sufficient ability and strong will to engage in original, progressive research and to develop information systems with new concepts in their chosen field.
In principle, applicants should hold or expect to hold a doctoral degree by the appointment date. An equivalent qualification in the fields of humanities or social sciences is also acceptable.
9. Documents required for application
- Curriculum vitae (attachment 1)
Include desired research section (research and development field) and desired position (Associate Professor or Assistant Professor).
- List of publications (attachment 2)
List papers, books, etc., respectively in descending order of publication year. Attach full text copies of three representative papers.
Additionally, describe introduction to research and development achievements to date in 1000 words or less.
- Activities in the academic community and relevant societies (attachment 3)
- Professional activities (attachment 4)
- Activities for the benefit of society (attachment 5)
- Letter of recommendation
A letter of recommendation should be sent to NII directly from the recommender. If a letter of recommendation is not available, submit the names and contact details of references.
- Applicant's plans and aspirations for the position in 1000 words or less(A4 size).
- Note: You can download the attachments at the following link.
10. Application deadline
- June 26, 2020
- All documents must be received by this date.
Regarding this recruitment, there is a possibility that an unexpected situation may occur due to the influence of the new coronavirus infection (COVID-19), so please do not hesitate to contact us if you wish to extend the application deadline etc.
11. Selection procedure
- 1st review: Initial screening of documents
- 2nd review: Interviews
- Those who pass the initial screening will be invited for an interview. Interviews will be conducted on the date and time appointed by NII from late July to mid-August 2020. The date and time cannot be adjusted at the request of the candidates. Travel expenses related to the interview will not be reimbursed by NII.
Regarding this recruitment, there is a possibility that the interview may be online due to the influence of the new coronavirus infection (COVID-19).
12. Notification of application result
After all selection procedures have been completed, applicants will be notified of the results on or close to September 30, 2020.
- Application requirements and working conditions:
Personnel Affairs Team, General Affairs Division, General Affairs Department, National Institute of Informatics
E-mail: koubo2020( at )nii.ac.jp
- Research content:
Prof. Ken-ichi kawarabayashi, National Institute of Informatics
E-mail: koubo2020( at )nii.ac.jp
14. Address to which the application documents should be sent:
E-mail：koubo2020( at )nii.ac.jp
Applications for this position can only be submitted by e-mail. Please send the document in PDF file. If you have any problems, please contact us as above.
When applying, include "Academic Employment Opportunities (Applicant's Name)" in the subject line.
If you have a letter of recommendation, please ask the recommender to send it directly to the above email address. In doing so, please make sure that the subject line is "Letter of recommendation (Applicant's Name)" and specify the name of recommender in the body.
If you do not receive a reply within 5 days after sending the application documents, please contact us again by e-mail.
15. Additional notes
- Handling personal information
Personal information provided during the course of this recruitment process shall be used for only the purpose of selecting candidates. At the conclusion of the selection process, NII shall dispose of all personal information responsibly, with the exception of information pertaining to successful candidates. Please note that personal information on successful candidates will be used in employment procedures related to human resources, work duties, and salary, as well as other in-house procedures including research and education.
- NII actively employs and promotes women on equal basis with men in terms of their ability from the viewpoints of research achievement, educational achievement, and social contribution. We take care that no candidates are disadvantaged by their leaves for maternity, childcare and nursing care if they are so noted in the CVs.
- NII also considers employment based on cross-appointment thinking to facilitate personnel exchanges with universities and other institutions in Japan and overseas.