Academic Employment Opportunities at the NII, Digital Content and Media Sciences Research Division, Yamagishi Lab, Project Researcher (Specified fixed-term employment, Postdoctoral Fellow)
1. Job titles
* Based on performance, successful applicants may be named Assistant Professor by Special Appointment.
2. Number of recruits
3. Work location
National Institute of Informatics (Gakujutsu Sougou Center, Hitotsubashi 2-1-2, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo)
Directions: 3-5 minutes walk from exit A8 of the Jimbocho subway station on the Toei Shinjuku Line, or from exit 1b of the Takebashi subway station on the Tozai Line (refer to the map).
Yamagishi Lab, Digital Content and Media Sciences Research Division, National Institute of Informatics (NII)
5. Job description
Conducting research in the following research projects and topics
※Please contact Yamagishi lab for the details of the research projects
- Speech information processing (speech synthesis, voice conversion, speaker recognition, speaker verification)
- Machine learning (deep learning)
- Speech privacy and security
- Signal processing
- Having a PhD degree or is expected to have a PhD degree when admitted
- Having experience in any or multiple research topics listed above
- Being able to communicate in Japanese or English (paper writing, presentation, etc)
7. Period of employment
From 2020 April 1st to 2021 March 31st
- The starting date is negotiable
- It is possible to extend the employment period based on the research outcomes and availability of the research budget.
- However, the maximum employment period is up to 2023 March 31st. The contract is renewed per year.
Five days a week, Monday through Friday
- Days off: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, and year-end and New Year's holidays (December 29 - January 3).
- Summer vacation: Any two consecutive days between August 12 and 18, excluding Saturdays and Sundays.
9. Working hours
Seven hours and 45 minutes per day under a discretionary work system.
10. Leave of absence
Conferred in accordance with regulations:
- Annual paid leave
- Vacation other than annual paid leave
Provided based on regulations
- Basic salary: 355000 Yen ～ 422000 Yen per month (based on working experience)
- Commuting allowance: Amount paid to cover actual commuting costs (there is a limit)
- Payday: At month-end closing, generally on the 17th of the next month
Employment and workers' compensation insurance covered by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Mutual Aid Association in accordance with laws and regulations.
13. Application document
Please send the following materials to NII, and please include 「Yamagishi Lab, Job application」 on the envelope:
- Resume in the format specified by ROIS (Please download and fill in academic background, academic degrees, awards; please paste photo and seal; please include email address and phone number)
- List of research outcomes (list in the following order: thesis, peer-viewed journal paper, peer-viewed conference paper, non-peer-viewed publication)
- Copy of main research papers
- Personal statement (research outline, motivation, expectation, in 1 page A4 paper)
- Contact information of 1 reference
14. Selection procedure
Interview may be required after document screening.
(Commuting fee for the interview shall be paid by the applicant)
15. Notification of application results
Applicants will be promptly notified of the results of the selection process.
16. Application deadline
Ends as soon as one applicant is admitted.
17. Inquires and address to send applications
National Institute of Informatics
2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
To Junichi Yamagishi
Email： yamagishilab-sec (at) nii.ac.jp please replace (at) with @
Inter-University Research Institute Corporation
Research Organization of Information and Systems
Director Fujii Ryoichi
Any questions shall be asked to the email address above.
We will use the personal information submitted in this recruitment only for the purpose of screening of the application. We will destroy all personal information after application.
Please note that personal information of the hired staff will be used for recruitment procedures such as personnel affairs, labor, salary-related processing, and various procedures in the office.
NII actively promotes female researchers as a part of gender equality. In this recruitment, women will be actively hired if they are found to be equivalent in their performance
(research achievements, educational achievements, social contributions, etc.).