Academic Employment Opportunities at the NII, Information and Society Research Division, Echizen Laboratory, Postdoctoral Fellow
1. Job titles
* Based on performance, successful applicants may be named Assistant Professor by Special Appointment.
2. Number of positions
3. Work location
National Institute of Informatics (Gakujutsu Sougou Center, Hitotsubashi 2-1-2, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo)
Directions: 3-5 minutes walk from exit A9 of the Jimbocho subway station on the Toei Shinjuku Line, or from exit 1b of the Takebashi subway station on the Tozai Line (refer to the map).
Echizen Laboratory, Information and Society Research Division, National Institute of Informatics (NII)
5. Work description
Echizen and Yamagishi Laboratories of the National Institute of Informatics have taken a leading role mainly in tackling research issues relating to JSPS Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (S) project Communication System for Defending against Attacks of Media Clones. This project involves a number of research areas including media processing (image processing or natural language processing) and machine learning. For an overview of this project, take a look at this site: http://www2c.comm.eng.osaka-u.ac.jp/proj/mc/eindex.html
Applicants should hold or expect to hold a doctoral degree or equivalent academic credential by the appointment date. Note that preference will be shown to applicants with experience and knowledge of more than one of the areas listed in Item 5 above.
7. Period of employment
Job starting date : April 1, 2019 (or earlier date negotiable)
The term of Employment : from the starting date to March 31, 2020
Contract may be renewed after expiration of the above term (The maximum term of employment shall be March 31, 2021.
* The job starting date is negotiable
* The contract may be renewed on a yearly basis.
Five days a week, Monday through Friday
- Days off: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, and year-end and New Year's holidays (December 29 - January 3).
- Summer vacation: Any two consecutive days between August 12 and 18, excluding Saturdays and Sundays.
9. Working hours
Seven hours and 45 minutes per day under a discretionary work system.
Conferred in accordance with regulations:
- Annual paid leave
- Vacation other than annual paid leave
Paid in accordance with regulations:
- Basic wage: from ¥300,000 to ¥400,000 per month (calculated based on experience)
- Commuting allowance: Amount paid to cover actual commuting costs (there is a limit)
- Payday: At month-end closing, generally on the 17th of the next month
12. Social insurance
Employment and workers' compensation insurance covered by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Mutual Aid Association in accordance with laws and regulations.
Mail the following documents to Echizen Laboratory, and write on the envelop "Application for postdoc fellowship position at Echizen Laboratory" in red ink: Curriculum vitae (including academic records, degrees, awards and prizes, return address, and photograph), a list of publications (divided clearly into refereed journal papers and others), copies of three relevant papers, a brief summary of research and related contributions (up to one A4 page in length), and the name and address of one personal reference who can speak on behalf of the applicant.
14. Selection procedure
After reviewing application documents, interviews will be arranged with applicants where required. All travel and accommodation expenses incurred in connection with the selection process shall be borne by the applicants.
15. Notification of application results
Applicants will be promptly notified of the results of the selection process.
16. Application deadline
Application must be received by Monday, May 20, 2019 (screening can be conducted at any time, and the selection process will be terminated when successful applicants have been chosen).
17. Inquires and address to send applications
Information and Society Research Division
National Institute of Informatics
Hitotsubashi 2-1-2, Chiyoda-ku Tokyo 101-8430
Contact: Isao Echizen
E-mail: iechizen (at) nii.ac.jp (replace (at) with @ when sending email).
Please send all inquiries by e-mail to the address shown in Item 17 above. Please include "Echizen Laboratory postdoctoral fellow application" in the subject line.
* Application document will be used solely for the purpose of assessing applicants. At the conclusion of the selection process, all application documents will be destroyed (and cannot be returned) except for those of the successful applicants, which will be used to provide personnel, employment, and salary details.