Academic Employment Opportunities at the NII, ROIS
1. Job title
Associate Professor or Assistant Professor with fixed tenure - several of each position
* Consideration may also be given to Professorial appointments.
2. Starting date of employment
Expected to be April 1st, 2018
The tenure shall be five (5) years.
Renewal of tenure, promotion or other changes of status may be granted depending on performance during tenure. (Renewal shall be limited to one (1) five (5) year period.)
4. Working Conditions
Working conditions shall be governed by the Office Regulations of the Research Organization of Information and Systems and other relevant guidelines. Remuneration matters shall, in principle, accord with the Salary Regulations Covering the Annual Salary Scheme of the Research Organization of Information and Systems and other relevant guidelines. However, persons employed from the National University Corporation or similar organizations that have retirement allowances included in their remuneration in accordance with the Retirement Allowance Regulations Covering Research Organization of Information and Systems Employees may elect for continued application of the Salary Scale for Teaching Staff.
5. Role of NII and expectations of desired candidates
As Japan’s only comprehensive academic research institute in the field of informatics, the National Institute of Informatics (NII) has a mission to promote basic research in informatics from a long-term perspective along with practical research designed to resolve issues that confront society. As part of the Research Organization of Information and Systems, which is an Inter-University Research Institute, NII also has missions to operate a network (SINET5) linking universities and research institutes, create an academic information infrastructure necessary for research and educational activities in the academic community, and provide academic content and service platforms. As we engage in these activities, it is crucial to develop human resources and to make sincere social and international contributions. With these missions in mind, NII is seeking researchers with the self-drive to help pioneer the future of informatics in Japan. Successful candidates will generate outcomes with outstanding academic merit for top conferences/journals, or alternatively, will deliver results that contribute to improvements in our society. In this regard, NII will endeavor to provide ample research hours and offer an environment conducive to the concentrated study of research topics.
6. Research and development fields
The preferred research topics include, but are not limited to, the following.
1) Research on Principles of Informatics: Algorithms, artificial intelligence, machine learning, deep learning, big data analysis, data mining, mathematical modeling, numerical analysis, computational science, Web informatics, human brain and neuroscience, quantum information, new principles and theories in interdisciplinary fields of the above areas, cutting-edge research creating new applications in the above areas, etc.
2) Research on Information Systems Architecture: Technologies for the post-Internet future, cyber-security platforms, software and hardware architecture, distributed and cloud computing, programming languages, system performance/log analysis, dependable systems, the Internet of Things (IoT), and network/cloud visualization, parallel processing/programming, etc.
3) Research on Digital Content and Media Sciences: Natural language processing, computer vision, image processing, acoustic information processing, computer graphics, databases, human interaction, Web mining, social media, community analysis, media recognition/identification, machine learning and deep learning applications, etc.
4) Research on Information, Society and Humanity: Privacy-preserving data processing, next-generation de-identification/anonymization, digital governance, policy study for/by IT, manpower development for/by IT, digital humanity, e-healthcare, reliability evaluations of social media, crowd sourcing, sharing economy, digital education, open-innovation platforms for industry-academic cooperation, etc.
7. Requirements and experience
Applicants should have sufficient ability and experience to engage in original, progressive research and to develop information systems and new concepts in their chosen field.
In principle, applicants should hold or expect to hold a doctoral degree by the appointment date. An equivalent qualification in the fields of philosophy, humanities, or social sciences is also acceptable.
9. Documents required for application
(1) Curriculum vitae (attachment 1) Include desired research section (research and development field) and desired position (Associate Professor or Assistant Professor).
(2) List of publications (attachment 2) Attach three hard copies/photocopies of three representative papers.
(3) Activities in the academic community and relevant societies (attachment 3)
(4) Professional activities (attachment 4)
(5) Activities for the benefit of society (attachment 5)
(6) Letter of recommendation If a letter of recommendation is not available, submit the names and contact details of references.
(7) Applicant’s plans and aspirations for the position in 2000 words or less.
Note: All documents should be printed on one side except for the three representative papers. Use a clip to hold the documents together. Do not staple them together.
Those who pass the initial screening will be invited for an interview. Interviews will be conducted on the date and time appointed by NII from late June to mid-July 2017. The date and time cannot be adjusted at the request of the candidates. Travel expenses related to the interview will not be reimbursed by NII.
12. Notification of application result
After all selection procedures have been completed, applicants will be notified of the results on or close to September 30, 2017.
(1) Application requirements and status: Personnel Affairs Team, General Affairs Division, General Affairs Department, National Institute of Informatics E-mail: koubo2017( at )nii.ac.jp
(2) Research content: Prof. Ichiro Satoh, National Institute of Informatics Phone: +81-3-4212-2546, E-mail: koubo2017( at )nii.ac.jp
14. Address to which the application documents should be sent:
Director General National Institute of Informatics 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101–8430 Japan
15. Additional notes
(1) Please write “application documents (academic employment)” in red ink on the front of the envelope and send it by registered mail or physical carriers that can issue delivery certifications. Only mail-in applications will be accepted. Applications by e-mail or brought personally will NOT be accepted!
(2) It is NII policy not to return application documents.
(3) Handling personal information Personal information provided during the course of this recruitment process shall be used for only the purpose of selecting candidates. At the conclusion of the selection process, NII shall dispose of all personal information responsibly, with the exception of information pertaining to successful candidates. Please note that personal information on successful candidates will be used in employment procedures related to human resources, work duties, and salary, as well as other in-house procedures including research and training.
(4) NII actively employs and promotes women on equal basis with men in terms of their ability from the viewpoints of research achievement, educational achievement, and social contribution.